19 Must-Know Facts About Digital Out-of-Home Advertising
Digital out-of-home is the most exciting field in media advertising. If you’re not up to date on what’s happening in DOOH, you’re behind the times.
Here are 19 DOOH facts you have to know.
- People are exposed to an average of 56 minutes of Digital OOH advertising per week, but they’re exposed to over 11 hours of electronic media per day. This means that digital OOH is still an anomaly, demanding attention. Traditional media is often “tuned out” by savvy consumers.
- Analysts speculate that digital out-of-home ad spend will grow from around $9 billion (US) in 2014 to well over $18 billion by 2019. Smart advertisers are betting big on this medium, including several “big” players with hundreds of millions in ad spend per year.
- America is home to over 41,000,000 Digital Natives. These are individuals who have grown up interacting and exposed to digital media, and are far more likely to respond positively to digital marketing messages.
- Every day, people are “out and about” for about 3 hours and 10 minutes. This does not include the time spent inside the office or home. That’s about 190 minutes of available consumer attention for media buyers.
- Over 72% of adults say they have seen or been exposed to digital out-of-home advertisements in the past month. People notice when they see digital out-of-home, and they’re only seeing more of it.
- A quarter of all people age 18-24 and a fifth of people over age 35 say they are “aware” of digital advertising in restaurants and bars, respectively. Think DOOH gets lost in the shuffle of ads, noise, and crowds? Think again.
- About 20% of people say they’ve made an unplanned purchase after interacting with a digital out-of-home ad. It’s second to none among point-of-sale advertising mediums for inspiring consumer action.
- DOOH is skewed heavily male and young. Over 52% of men surveyed and 66% of all 18-24 year olds questioned say they would take an action after viewing an out-of-home digital advertisement. The hard-to-reach young male demographic? It’s paying attention to digital ads.
- In the U.S., mobile payments are expected to grow nearly three-fold by 2019. As the trend continues, digital out-of-home will begin to gain legitimacy as a “direct response” medium.
- Of the travelers who passed by a digital billboard in a recent study, over 55% could recall the message on the screen every or most of the time. Digital OOH can offer unparalleled recall numbers for advertisers.
- Digital out-of-home ads at the Point of Sale have been shown to increase brand awareness by as much as 31%. That means that nearly a third of all customers who see a specific branded ad at the purchasing point in the funnel will remember that brand the next time they buy.
- The average consumer is engaging with between 9-23 devices in a given day, many simultaneously. Digital out-of-home ads that provide an Internet of Things experience and/or offer device utility such as cell phone charging stations at the point of sale are positioning themselves well.
- Dwell time among certain DOOH solutions hovers around 55 minutes, the highest in advertising. The amount of time consumers spend in front of your ad matters.
- Consumers in America now spend 70% of their time outside of their homes. Millennials, in particular, dine out at restaurants more than any other generation. It’s no wonder digital advertising at restaurants is one of the fastest-growing industry segments.
- Desktop usage is down 12% in just over 3 years. This means people are spending more time outside the home and increasingly getting their information from mobile sources. It’s important for advertisers to help provide that information.
- Digital now accounts for over 31% of spending in the out-of-home market. That means if you’re not using digital, you’ll soon be out of date.
- More U.S. adults ascribe purchaser influence to outdoor ads than to online video ads. OOH is more trusted and consumers are less skeptical than of traditional digital advertising.
- Technologies and breakthroughs in the design and production of digital displays has led to a drastic reduction in their overall cost to buyers in recent years. Digital OOH is now one of the most affordable mediums per-impression in the industry.
- While physical out-of-home advertising (billboards, subway ads, etc.) are holding steady, the growth in digital OOH is exponential. Smart advertisers are banking on both traditional and tech-forward advertising mediums to carry them through the next decade.
Media Caddy is a leading name in digital out-of-home technology. Specializing in bar and restaurant caddies with exceptional dwell time and customer recall, Media Caddy is the DOOH partner you’ve been looking for.